Mallacoota Visitor Information
Visitor Information - Mallacoota, Victoria, Australia
Located in the East Gippsland region of Victoria, Australia, Mallacoota is a popular holiday destination known for its beaches, lakes, and national parks. Here is some information for visitors to make the most out of their trip to Mallacoota.
Mallacoota is located approximately 520km east of Melbourne. The easiest way to get there is by car, following the Princes Highway to Cann River, and then taking the turnoff to Mallacoota. Another option is to take a flight to Merimbula Airport which is located approximately 100km north of Mallacoota, followed by a rental car or taxi ride to Mallacoota.
Where to Stay
Mallacoota offers a range of accommodation options to suit different budgets and preferences. There are several motels, hotels, apartments, cabins, and camping grounds available in the town. It's recommended to book in advance during peak holiday seasons.
Things to Do
- Beaches: Mallacoota has several beaches that are great for swimming, fishing, and boating. The most popular ones are Bastion Point Beach and Betka Beach.
- Lakes: Mallacoota is surrounded by several lakes where visitors can go fishing, kayaking, or boating. The most popular ones are Mallacoota Lake, Gypsy Point Lakes, and Tamboon Inlet.
- National Parks: Mallacoota is home to several national parks that offer hiking and camping opportunities. The most popular ones are Croajingolong National Park, Cape Howe National Park, and Gabo Island.
- Fishing: Mallacoota is a popular spot for fishing enthusiasts. Visitors can go fishing at the lakes or charter a boat for offshore fishing.
- Wildlife: Mallacoota is home to a variety of wildlife, including kangaroos, wallabies, echidnas, and wombats. Visitors can watch these animals in their natural habitat at the national parks.
Food and Drink
Mallacoota has several restaurants, cafes, and pubs where visitors can enjoy meals and drinks. The town also has a bakery, supermarket, and several takeaway food shops. Visitors can try some of the local seafood, including prawns, oysters, and fish.
When to Visit
Mallacoota can be visited throughout the year. The peak holiday season is from December to January, during which the town can get busy with tourists. The best time to visit depends on personal preferences. Visitors who enjoy water activities may prefer to visit during the summer months, while those who enjoy hiking may prefer to visit during the cooler months.
Mallacoota is a beautiful holiday destination that offers a range of activities for visitors. Whether visitors are looking for relaxation or adventure, they are sure to find something to suit their interests in Mallacoota. With its stunning beaches, lakes, national parks, and friendly locals, Mallacoota is a must-visit destination in Victoria, Australia!